Friday, January 30, 2009

Book of the Week: Watchmen

This is the weirdest book I've ever read. I seriously have never read a book with so many disturbing twists and turns ever. So teens should really like this book. Watchmen by Alan Moore is a graphic novel that tells the story of a group of superheroes who are nothing like Batman or Wonder Woman. People like Rorschach, who wears a mask like the ink blots, came from a dysfunctional family, and the Silk Spectre, a female heroine, has a rough relationship with her daughter who follows in her footsteps. Then there's the mystery of solving the murder of the Comedian, a sleazy member of their crime-fighting group that had a lot of enemies. There are so many other stories within this story, I can't remember them all, and this book really needs to reread to be understood.

Though it's confusing to me, it's still a fascinating read, especially when Moore writes about the characters' personal lives. The illustrations by Dave Gibbons are haunting as well. The old-fashioned look of the characters contrast with the modern problems they have. I don't how the blockbuster movie coming out in March can match the darkness and sadness of the novel, but we'll see. I'm choosing this book to start off my Young Adult Graphic Novel club in March and this book should make it a very interesting start.

No comments:

Post a Comment